Wednesday 2 February 2011

The Slum, the fun, and the 3:30am party till dawn!

So yet again it's been far and few between my blog posts, (don't say I didn't warn you at the very beginning) but as usual i've been pretty busy enjoying everything that Queenstown has to offer, and making friends and keeping myself very busy.

I mentioned that I'd gotten myself a job  at the Hostel being a "night security guard" which lasted a grand sum of 3 days, as I was "Working for accomodation" I was then allowed into the "notrious staff dorms" which for better word to describe it, the slums of India are tidier. Creeping into the room "322-no trolls allowed" the dark soon hit me, and stumbling and bumping into pretty much everything and everyone's bed's I soon made enough noise for at least one of the other WFA's to stir from their deep slumber, "which is the spare bed" I whisper in a "i'm the annoying new guy gonna wake you all up voice", with a grunt and a point, Jordan (we're good mates now) points to a bottom bed bunk, which looks more or less like a dumping ground rather than a bed anyone could ever perform any kind of activity on, other than creating oneself a jumble sale!
Fuck it! I dump all my stuff onto the bed andhastily make my exit, deciding to unpack when there may be better chance of someone not being in the room asleep (which I was far too premature in my thinking, there is literally always someone asleep at some point throughout the day.


I did however venture back into the room later on that day to unpack my bags, and meet everyone in the room. (Mary, Ali, Courtney, Jordan, Adrian and James). Quick introductions are made, names very quickly forgotten and plans of what to do that night soon began. "blondie" was the nickname assigned to me, as they forgot my name and went for the next best thing. Working the 2am-4am shift  at the hostel was anything but fun, don't get me wrong it was very easy work, but just mundane and the hours were hellish, when everyone else was out and about having fun, it meant, (at the time) I couldn't get too inhibriated before work, and couldn't go back out after. Shift 1 was a quiet one and I was soon allowed to dissappear after a mere hours work $29ph equiv, thank you very much. Shift 2 involved me going out before hand... hey I had to test the waters somehow, being slightly intoxicated again the shift was easy, mundane and suprisingly seemed to go a little quicker, with a few "handles of beer, and vodka's down my throat". Shift 3 (the final shift) Involved getting pretty tanked before work, and arriving or to be more accurate stumbling to work, again same work, but went even quicker, despite falling over the computer tables whilst hoovering. work complete and it's straight off to bed.....zzzZZZZ.....3:30am, there's a disturbance in the room, Mary, Jordan, James(Scouse) are all being noisey and drinking.... Scouse: "oh sorry were you asleep?" knowing fullwell I was asleep..... Jordan: "Do you want a drink?" Me/Blondie: "Yeah fuck it, why not" so I quickly throw back on the shorts and tee, and get involved with the Drinking shenanigans, it's 4:00am and we're playing some effortless drinking/card game (a.k.a higher or lower) which eventually turned into just passing a bottle of vodka, mixed with whisky round the group, music blaring at full volume and enjoying the best of Whitney Houston's "I will always love you" it's not long untill Joi (The night security/reception guy, whom I work with) is telling us off and forcing us to keep the noise down, which didn't really work, as we carried on drinking (albeit with a less intense volume of Whitney Houston). Somehow and we all spoke about this in the morning, but we all ended up in Mary's bunk, (top bunk I should add) and none of us really know quite how it happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment