Saturday 15 January 2011

Another day in paradise, many more dollars spent!

Birthdays & beef dinners:

It's been a fantastic first few days in Queenstown, the weather is fantastic, and the people are awesome, Yesterday involved being greeted by Twiggy, Court, Rich (In a pink panther costume), the great Dane and the “shit-stain” (but equally awesome)(2 Danish girls we met) at out hostel room, “drinks?” …. does a bear shit in the woods?, so off we go for another day of mischief and it seems that getting back on the sauce is the best cure for an inevitable hangover. I'm not a cider drinker, but when pitchers of cider and a table full of jaegerbombs start flowing at 1pm it's going to be a great day.
The pink-panther costume was certainly a conversation starter, and got us all attention from locals, passers-by and of course the inevitable group of Asians wielding cameras & pratsticks, we take it in turns to don the costume and ingenious/embarrassing and full on ridiculous dares are thought up. Some of which involved hugging at least 10 strangers....placing a bet at the bookies, ($5.00 each way on trap 6 Aileen...turns out she puts in on trap 4, when it comes to checking the score which dog won...trap 6.... standard!) and the best of all was lapping cider out of a dog-bowl on all fours in the middle of the road. (unlucky Court), for me it was to hitch a ride round the block off a complete stranger.

The day progresses with much of the same, banter, dares and a lot more drinks, chatting up the bar-maid and scoring myself umpteen free drinks, at least my drunken state took my mind off the fact I’m a red lobster (it's lethal sunshine out here).

Today has been Aileen's birthday and all feeling rough we decide to stay clear of the sauce... at least for a little bit, She & I made our way to Pog Mahones (Irish bar) for a roast beef dinner.... which later became good friends with the toilet bowl. (vomit free since 2003 does not apply any more. Sad times!)
Having some time alone to a) recover and b) just have some me time, leads me to thinking about Home, friends and family. It's not the fact that I'm home-sick or miss them “too much” it's more to the fact that they are unable to share the experience with me, having spent some fantastic family holidays together, it feels odd that for once I’m doing it solo, and that I don't have them to pay for my dinner!

As I sit here on a rock, with my feet dangling in the lake, and the clackety clack of my typing and the soft lapping of the waves, it's only now can I appreciate the beauty that is all around me, and the fact that the adventure has begun.

[side note, I did not realise that lakes had waves.....just saying!]


No comments:

Post a Comment